The National Center For Complementary And Integrative Health says that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is comprised of a number of health practices that are 1000’s years old. Originating in ancient China, its practitioners used herbal medicines and mind-body techniques like acupuncture to prevent and treat everyday health problems. Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that nuts are “warm” in nature, significantly adding to a winter diet. Beyond the fact that nuts may help to counteract the cold, TCM also believes they have several other health benefits to a holistic nutrition plan.
The health benefits attributed to 5 different types of nuts are listed below:
- Walnuts: TCM believes walnuts are an adjuvant and have strong positive effects on kidney deficiencies, urinary tract issues, and chronic coughing. They also help relieve fatigue and stress. Our research from many holistic nutrition blogs suggests you consume at least 20 grams of walnuts daily. They believe you should eat them along with the outer skin of the kernel. The kernel of the walnut is also high in nutritional value.
- Chestnuts: TCM believes that Chestnuts are sweet in flavor and warm in character. They nourish your kidneys, stomach, and blood. They also see them as having a tonic value equivalent to medicinal herbs like ginseng, astragalus, and angelica. They believe that everyone can and should eat them. However, overweight people should be careful because they are high in sugar and starch.
- Hazelnuts: TCM believes that Hazelnuts stimulate your appetite and combat fatigue, emaciation, and weakness after illness. They encourage children to eat Hazelnuts to promote healthy development. They suggest you consume approximately 30 grams daily.
- Almonds: TCM believes that you should eat almonds to help with chronic cough and phlegm. They also recommend them for the elderly suffering from chronic constipation. Because almonds have a laxative effect, people with poor digestion, loose stool, or diarrhea should eat less. They suggest you consume 20 grams daily.
- Peanuts: TCM believes you should eat peanuts to nourish the blood, spleen, and lungs and moisturize the skin. They suggest that you consume 20 to 30 grams daily. However, they warn that Peanuts may not be suitable for the elderly with poor digestive function or patients after cholecystectomy.
Where to Purchase These Nuts at the Lowest Prices
It’s only December, meaning we’re in for a few more months of cold weather. Break out your wool sweaters, insulated snow boots, and hooded-down jackets to keep you warm outside. TCM recommends you also consume nuts to keep you warm inside. Holistic nutrition mandates that you find the right blend of nuts that works for you during the colder months.