The National Center For Complementary And Integrative Health says that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is comprised of a number of health practices that are 1000’s years old. Originating in ancient China, its practitioners use herbal medicines and mind-body techniques like acupuncture to prevent and treat everyday health problems. Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that nuts are “warm” in nature and so they make great additions to a winter diet. Beyond the fact that nuts may help to counteract the cold, TCM also believes they have a number of other health benefits to a holistic nutrition plan.
The health benefits attributed to 5 different types of nuts are listed below:
- Walnuts: TCM believes that walnuts are an adjuvant and have strong positive effects on kidney deficiencies, urinary tract issues, and chronic coughing. They also help relieve fatigue and stress. Our research from many holistic nutrition blogs suggests you consume at least 20 grams of walnuts daily. They believe you should eat them along with the outer skin of the kernel. The kernel of the walnut is also high in nutritional value.
- Chestnuts: TCM believes that Chestnuts are sweet in flavor and warm in character. They nourish your kidneys, stomach, and blood. They also see them as having a tonic value equivalent to medicinal herbs like ginseng, astragalus, and angelica. They believe that everyone can and should eat them, however, those who are overweight should be careful because they are high in sugar and starch.
- Hazelnuts: TCM believes that Hazelnuts stimulate your appetite as well as combat fatigue, emaciation, and weakness after illness. They encourage children to eat Hazelnuts to encourage healthy development. They suggest you consume approximately 30 grams daily.
- Almonds: TCM believes that Almonds should be eaten to help with chronic cough and phlegm. They also recommend them for the elderly, suffering from chronic constipation. Due to the fact that Almonds have a laxative effect, people with poor digestion, loose stool, or diarrhea should eat less. They suggest you consume 20 grams daily.
- Peanuts: TCM believes that peanuts should be eaten to nourish the blood, spleen, and lungs, and also to moisturize the skin. They suggest that you consume 20 to 30 grams daily. However, they warn that Peanuts may not be suitable for the elderly with poor digestive function, or patients after cholecystectomy.
It’s only December, meaning we’re in for a few more long months of cold weather. Break out your wool sweaters, insulated snow boots, and hooded-down jackets to keep you warm on the outside. TCM recommends you also consume a variety of nuts to keep you warm on the inside. Holistic nutrition mandates that you find the right blend of nuts that works for you during the colder months.
Where to Purchase These Nuts at the Lowest Prices
Most of the varieties of nuts we told you about here are available from Wholesale Nuts and Dried Fruit. Click here to shop for nuts in bulk now.